The SSSQUID MAF CONVERSION KIT (SSSMCK) is the ONLY kit on the market that converts a MAF signal to something the stock M20/M30 ECUs are capable of correctly reading and processing, and without the need for a tune!
This is a pre-release product. What does that mean? It will have 3D printed parts instead of injection molded, it will use larger circuit boards that are easier for us to work on individually. It will contain early software (this is fully updatable by the end-user). Some functionality may be in early stages, and as such, some features may be added or removed in the future. At the moment it is not an all-in-one MAF, and will require you to source your own MAF or purchase one from us. However, it will work exactly as advertised, works with the stock ECU and stock tune, requires no ECU or engine modifications, and is quite simple to install. The software for datalogging and tuning is in early stages.
Buying this pre-release version will entitle you to a FREE exchange to the final product when it is released (we just ask that international buyers pay the cost of shipping). No need to worry about being left with an older version without the latest features!
Since each unit is hand-built, it will take at least a few days for your kit to ship. If on backorder, it can take 2+ weeks to ship. If you’d like an estimate, feel free to ask!
If you have any feature requests, we may be able to accommodate, please feel free to ask!
Main Product Features:
- Plug-and-play! No tuning required. Works with the stock ECU and any tune for the VAM specified during order (this means it can work with the stock tune!).
- Works with many engines, notably M20 and M30 engines equipped with EFI ECUs (does not work on carbureted engines).
- No modifications required to remove and go back to the stock VAM if necessary. Simply swap over!
- Properly converts the MAF signal into a signal the stock ECU is capable of reading and processing correctly.
- Quicker throttle response, higher supported power*, less flow restriction, less weight, improved overall airflow.
- Optionally choose between external or internal IAT sensor. No external IAT sensor required!
- Bluetooth-enabled data-logging! Log and graph real-time airflow values wirelessly to a Windows or Linux machine.
- Attachable mods, such as Alpha-N adapters, Speed Density kits, and various displays/gauges.
- Easily manually adjust reported airflow for any sensor discrepancies.
- Customizable case colors. If you’d like a specific color or combination, just ask!
- Made in the USA! Yes, even the circuit board! Support multiple small, local businesses at the same time.
It is recommended to choose a MAF that will support about 15-25% more power than your estimated maximum engine output. It is not recommended to use a MAF that is rated for more than 50% of your maximum output. E.G. if your engine outputs 170 Hp, choose a MAF that supports 205-215 Hp. If your engine outputs 250 Hp, choose a MAF that supports 285-315 Hp.
The stock M20 ECU can support up to about 280 Hp without a sensor rescaling (however the stock tune is only designed for around a maximum of about 170 Hp). The stock M30B35 ECU can support up to about 310 Hp without a sensor rescaling (however the stock tune is only designed for a maximum of about 200 Hp). With proper tuning and rescaling, these ECUs can easily handle upwards of 500 Hp.
MAF P/N — MAXIMUM POWER (estimate, there is some margin depending on engine efficiency)
- 0-280-213-011 — 210 Hp (76mm)
- 0-280-217-502 — 250 Hp (76mm)
- 0-280-217-800 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-217-803 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-217-806 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-218-002 — 210 Hp (70mm. Fits in stock M20 intake elbow! This MAF is nearly identical to 0-280-218-003 and can be used interchangeably)
- 0-280-218-069 — 350 Hp (92mm)
If you don’t see an option that works for you, please ask, we may be able to accomodate!
- MCK Unit
- Waterproof wiring pigtail
- Vampire fuse adapter with terminated power cable
- Blade fuse
What else is needed? (Not included)
- MAF sensor of your choice from the list of currently supported MAFs (contact us if you have a specific MAF you want to use that isn’t listed — we can likely provide a solution!)
- MAF pigtail for your chosen MAF
- Do I need to have my ECU tuned?
- No! While it’s always recommended, you do not have to be tuned. This kit will work with the stock tune, or any other well-designed tune made for the VAM of your choice.
- Do I have to make any other engine or ECU modifications for this item?
- No, there are no required engine or ECU modifications for most every vehicle. You simply need to plug in a new wire (provided) to supply power. No cutting, soldering, splicing, or modification necessary!
- Should I reset my ECU?
- It is a good idea to reset your ECU after installation. There are instructions on how to do this here.
- Which MAFs can I use?
- You will have specified a MAF during configuration. We will constantly be adding more MAFs as testing allows.
- At the moment, this kit is an add-on and does not contain a MAF sensor. In the future, this will be an all-in-one.
- Can I change MAFs in the future?
- Yes! The SSSMCK is able to be reprogrammed for different MAFs by the end-user (you).
- Does this work with the M40/M42 engines as well?
- Yes, this has been used on M4x engines. However, at this time we do not yet offer a plug-and-play kit that has the proper connection for the M40/42’s VAM harness connection. We have not been able to find a supplier of these connectors. If you would like to use this on an M4x engine, please contact us.
- Do I really need a conversion kit? Why can’t I just plug in a MAF?
- These older ECUs use exponential math to determine airflow sensor translation. This math is incompatible with most every MAF sensor curve. Many MAFs can sense airflow in both directions, whereas VAMs only sense airflow in one direction. MAFs provide quick and noisy signals whereas VAMs provide a steady analogue signal. A conversion kit must be used for proper operation.
- How do I know which VAM (AFM) I have, or which VAM my ECU is tuned for?
- If you want to know which VAM you are currently running, you will need to look at it and read the part number.
- If we provided your tune, we can tell you which VAM it is setup for. Otherwise you will have to ask your tuner.
- The popular VAMs are:
- M20B20/23 — 0280202083
- M20B25 — 0280213082
- M20B27 (S-ETA) — 0280213082
- M20B27 (ETA) — 0280202091
- M30B34/35 — 0280203027
- M88 — 0280203025 or 0280203027
- S14B23 — 0280203028
- Porsche 944 S (M44/40) — 0280203028
- Porsche 924/944 S2 (M44/41) — 0280202064
- MORE INFORMATION