New installation and configuration instructions available for new version at the bottom of this page!
The SSSQUID MAF CONVERSION KIT (SSSMCK) is the ONLY kit on the market that converts a MAF signal to something the stock M20/M30 ECUs are capable of correctly reading and processing, and without the need for a tune!
This is a pre-release product. What does that mean? It will have 3D printed parts instead of injection molded, it will use larger circuit boards that are easier for us to work on individually. It will contain early software (this is fully updatable by the end-user). Some functionality may be in early stages, and as such, some features may be added or removed in the future. At the moment it is not an all-in-one MAF, and will require you to source your own MAF or purchase one from us. However, it will work exactly as advertised, works with the stock ECU and stock tune, requires no ECU or engine modifications, and is quite simple to install. The software for datalogging and tuning is in very early stages, and some command-line knowledge may be necessary for certain procedures like updating firmware or tuning.
Buying this pre-release version will entitle you to a FREE exchange to the final product when it is released (we just ask that international buyers pay the cost of shipping). No need to worry about being left with an older version without the latest features!
Since each unit is hand-built, it will take at least a few days for your kit to ship. If on backorder, it can take 2+ weeks to ship. If you’d like an estimate, feel free to ask!
If you have any feature requests, we may be able to accommodate, please feel free to ask!
Main Product Features:
- Plug-and-play! No tuning required. Works with the stock ECU and any tune for the stock VAM of the engine specified.
- Works with M20 and M30 engines equipped with EFI ECUs (does not work on carbureted engines).
- No modifications required to remove and go back to the stock VAM if necessary. Simply swap over!
- Properly converts the MAF signal into a signal the stock ECU is capable of reading and processing correctly.
- Quicker throttle response, higher supported power*, less flow restriction, less weight, improved overall airflow.
- Optionally choose between external or internal IAT sensor. No external IAT sensor required!
- Data-logging! Log and graph real-time airflow values to a Windows or Linux machine.
- Attachable mods, such as Alpha-N adapters, Speed Density kits, and various displays/gauges.
- Easily manually adjust airflow for any sensor discrepancies.
- Customizable case colors. If you’d like a specific color or combination, just ask!
- Made in the USA! Yes, even the circuit board! Support multiple small, local businesses at the same time.
It is recommended to choose a MAF that will support about 15-25% more power than your estimated maximum engine output. It is not recommended to use a MAF that is rated for more than 50% of your maximum output. E.G. if your engine outputs 170 Hp, choose a MAF that supports 205-215 Hp. If your engine outputs 250 Hp, choose a MAF that supports 285-315 Hp.
The stock M20 ECU can support up to about 280 Hp without a sensor rescaling (however the stock tune is only designed for around a maximum of about 170 Hp). The stock M30B35 ECU can support up to about 310 Hp without a sensor rescaling (however the stock tune is only designed for a maximum of about 200 Hp). With proper tuning and rescaling, these ECUs can handle upwards of 500 Hp.
MAF P/N — MAXIMUM POWER (estimate, there is some margin depending on engine efficiency)
- 0-280-213-011 — 210 Hp (76mm)
- 0-280-217-502 — 250 Hp (76mm)
- 0-280-217-800 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-217-803 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-217-806 — 315 Hp (92mm)
- 0-280-218-002 — 210 Hp (70mm. Fits in stock M20 intake elbow! This MAF is nearly identical to 0-280-218-003 and -063 and can be used interchangeably)
- 0-280-218-069 — 350 Hp (92mm)
- Do I need to have my ECU tuned?
- No! While it’s always recommended, you do not have to be tuned. This kit will work with the stock tune, or any other well-designed tune made for the stock VAM of that vehicle.
- Do I have to make any other engine or ECU modifications for this item?
- No, there are no required engine or ECU modifications for most every vehicle. You simply need to plug in a new wire (provided) to supply power.
- Should I reset my ECU?
- It is a good idea to reset your ECU after installation. There are instructions on how to do this here.
- Which MAFs can I use?
- You will have specified a MAF during checkout. We will constantly be adding more MAFs as testing allows.
- At the moment, this kit is an add-on and does not contain a MAF sensor. In the future, this will be an all-in-one.
- Can I change MAFs in the future?
- Yes! The SSSMCK is able to be reprogrammed for different MAFs by the end-user (you).
- Does this work with the M40/M42 engines as well?
- Technically yes, we can code it for use with those engines. However, at this time we do not yet offer a plug-and-play kit that has the proper connection for the M40/42’s VAM harness connection, and has not been extensively tested with this engine. M20 and M30 engines are the primary focus.
- Do I really need a conversion kit? Why can’t I just plug in a MAF?
- These older ECUs use exponential math to determine airflow sensor translation. This math is incompatible with most every MAF sensor curve. Many MAFs can sense airflow in both directions, whereas VAMs only sense airflow in one direction. MAFs provide quick and noisy signals whereas VAMs provide a steady analogue signal. A conversion kit must be used for proper operation.
Installation instructions for R018 – EN (PDF)
Installation instructions for R017 – EN (PDF)